Find a Counseling Agency
One of the FHA HECM loan program requirements is that all borrowers must attend a counseling session either in person/face to face or by telephone. This is a done for your benefit as the government and the reverse mortgage industry want to make sure you have a proper understanding of this program. The counseling is a borrower paid expense to the Independent HUD Counseling Agency. At times, some of the different agencies receive government grants which allow them to offer this service for Free. It takes about 1 – 1 1/2 hours with no obligation and will address any concerns or questions you may have regarding this loan. This is a very important step as we can’t process your loan request (although an application can be taken prior) until an original completed and signed counseling certificate is received. Make the call today to contact one of the agencies to set up your FHA HECM counseling appointment.
National HECM Counseling Network
Increasing demand for HUD’s HECM product by senior citizens, has put pressure on the counseling industry to meet the demand for the required counseling. To make sufficient quality Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) counseling available, HECM counselors from the below agencies are permitted to provide face-to-face and telephone counseling nationally. Please contact them to obtain HECM counseling.
• National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) 866-698-6322
• Money Management International (MMI) 877-908-2227
• CredAbility Non Profit Counseling & Education 866-616-3176
• National Council on Aging (NCOA) 855-899-3778
• Clearpoint Financial Solutions, Inc. 800-251-2227
• Springboard Non-Profit Consumer Credit Management 800-947-3752
• Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation 888-990-4326
• Homefree 301-891-8423
• Greenpath 888-860-4167
Here are the two required pamphlets for the counseling session: